I don’t know if I ever had quite like this when was growing up. I remember getting down with some pretty darn good M&M cookies, but I guess my mom had never heard of something as wild as a blond brownie. These incredibly easy and delicious bars were a hit with my family. Maybe it was the buttery, soft texture or that pleasant crunch of the candies; whatever the case, this recipe should be in your regular rotation for years to come.
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 Tbsp butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 12oz bag M&Ms, divided
- Preheat oven to 325 and Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Mix in 1 cup of M&Ms and pour batter into the prepared pan, smooth top with spatula.
- Sprinkle remaining M&Ms on top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting.