Some Roasted red pepper dips just don’t taste that good and suffer from lackluster flavor. This is not that dip. To make this dish standout, blacken the peppers and save the liquid they release then blend it with a savory feta for a flavor that will make your head spin. Enjoy with crackers or toasted pita or use to garnish your favorite chicken dish.
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, halved lengthwise, and seeds and white pith removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
Buy a mild feta cheese that won’t overwhelm the flavor of the dip. The dip can be made up to 2 days ahead and stores well in a covered container in the fridge.
- Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle. Place peppers on a baking sheet cut side down, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Broil until blackened and charred, about 15 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary.
- Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let sit until cool enough to handle, at least 20 minutes. Remove peppers from the bowl, reserving any liquid.
- Peel peppers and place in a blender. Add feta, reserved pepper liquid, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
Serve with toasted pita wedges or assorted crackers.