Barbacoa means a lot of things to a lot of people: just ask Wikipedia. Our interpretation is beef brisket soaked in some classic mexican flavors and left on slow in a crock pot for 6-8 hours. Makes enough meat to stuff 30 tacos, which should make everyone happy. Enjoy:
You will need:
- 4 Hot Banana peppers minced
- 1 medium bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 head garlic, peeled and cloves smashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 5 to 7 pounds beef brisket
- 4 to 6 cups beef or chicken stock
- 5 bay leaves
- Corn tortillas
- Diced onions
- Minced cilantro
- Stir together the peppers, cilantro, red onion, garlic, clove, salt, lime juice, and cider vinegar and pour into crock-pot.
- Place the brisket on top of this mixture. (Cut the brisket into a few pieces if necessary to better fit in the slow cooker.) Add stock to cover the meat and place the bay leaves on top. Use tongs to turn the meat a few times in the sauce. Cook for 6-8 hours on LOW.
- Transfer the meat from slow cooker to a rimmed baking sheet. Use two forks to pull the meat apart.
- Discard the fat. Place the shredded beef in large bowl and ladle the cooking liquid over the top a few scoops at a time.
- You want the meat to hold the liquid but not swim in it; you may not need to use all of the cooking liquid.
- To keep the barbacoa warm for guests, you can return the shredded beef to your slow cooker and keep it warm on the WARM setting. Serve with fresh tortillas, onion, cilantro, and salsa.