Pesto is one of the most amazing flavors in all of cooking. The basil, the garlic and the pinenuts create a flavor profile that is out of this world. The only way to make it any better is to make the pesto yourself and this recipe does just that! Get ready to try the best pizza you will ever eat!
- 4 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed
- Place basil, Italian parsley, and garlic into a food processor, pulse several times to combine. process until basil is finely chopped, about 30 seconds.
- Add pine nuts to basil mixture; process until finely chopped, 30 more seconds.
- Process Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into mixture until finely ground.
- Mix lemon juice into mixture with the machine running; slowly drizzle olive oil into pesto in the running machine until incorporated and pesto is thoroughly combined.
- Turn off machine and season pesto to taste with salt and black pepper.